Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cupid's Big Day.

The beautiful bouquet Mr. M surprised me with.
Valentines Day. It’s the one day every year where – if we’re honest – we, as women, are expecting flowers, chocolates, balloons, stuffed bears, jewelry, candle light dinners and cards oozing with gushes of sweet nothings from our significant other.  Okay, you’re right … we might not be expecting all of it, but if you’re reading this and you’re a woman who’s spoken for, you’re hoping for at least one of the afore-mentioned prizes of love.

For years I always tried to protest Cupid’s big day … trying to convince myself that it was all a big waste of money, and that the hype was overrated. I lied. I finally admitted to myself and to my husband that I really am a fan of Valentines Day – whether I like it or not. I’m just a big sap. I’m a total sucker for the cards, for the balloons, for the flowers! Oh, how I love flowers … almost as much as I love eyeshadow!

One of the most memorable Valentines’ that I remember was when I was in college.  Mr. M drove the seven hours from Panama City to Lakeland. We did nothing fancy, or stereotypically romantic. We ordered a gigantic pizza, got smoothies, and watched Jaws. I believe there was some face-sucking involved too. Sorry, Mom and Dad. But in all seriousness, that celebration is one of my overall favorite dating memories I have with Mr. M, and by far the best Valentines Day memory to date.

I try to make things easy for him by reassuring him I don’t need anything fancy. A card would suffice, but flowers – even a cheap bouquet from the grocery store – would make my day. I’m eager to see what he’s got up his sleeve.

So what are we up to tonight? Besides the fact that I've spent the day home with a sick kid ... no big plans for us. As we do every year, we’ll go to dinner post-Valentines Day to escape the crowds. But tonight, will be another quiet night at home, with a quiet dinner, and once baby girl is in bed, maybe a little face-sucking for old times sake.

And here’s to many more mid-February celebrations with the man I love.

Happy Valentines Day, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment