Tuesday, December 4, 2012

2012 Songs of The Season: O Little Town of Bethlehem

If I'm being honest, O Little Town of Bethlehem has never been one of my favorites.  A classic?  Yes.  One we sing every year at Christmas Eve service?  Yes.  But it's never been a Christmas carol to really excite me.  Until this year. 

This picture you see, is an ornament on my mom and dad's tree.  When I look at it, I see peace, rest, tranquility, stillness.  When I think of the town of Bethlehem the night that Christ was born, the same adjectives come to mind - peace, rest, tranquility, stillness.  While child birth is anything but those things, I can only imagine that on that very first Christmas night, there was a hush over that humble little town.  A hush that can still be heard in the glow of a lit up tree.  Or in the peacefulness of a new blanket of snow. 

This time of year is chaotic for most of us with shopping, family, church functions, Christmas parades, baking, etc. all begging for our attention.  I hope that as you fulfill all the obligations that are demanded of you over the next three weeks, that you will take time to listen for that hush.

Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment