Monday, December 3, 2012

2012 Songs of The Season: Away In A Manger.

You may remember my series from last year - Songs of the Season.  Well, it's December and that means it's back!

Yes, I realize I'm a couple of days behind, but life happened.  I spent the weekend at my parents' house helping them paint and organize.  After inhaling fumes, climbing up and down a ladder, and entertaining a two year old in between rolling and brushing, by the time Saturday night rolled around I was completely exhausted and blogging was not happening.  Kicking off December 1 with this year's Songs of the Season series was the plan.  But as anyone in the blog world will tell you, plans are made to be canceled. 

I did a Songs of the Season series last year.  It was straight forward -- a blurp, a picture, a song all on a daily basis.  This year will be a tad different.  Not only will I post a different song every day -- hopefully -- but I will use a picture of an ornament from my tree (or my parents' tree) that represents each Christmasy tune. I hope you will join me every day from here until the end of the year for a musical slice of seasonal cheer.  And yes, I do realize how cheesy that last sentence was. 

Away In A Manger is a classic.  Growing up, I sang in the choir at church.  Every year, alongside two of my good friends, I would join in singing a trio of this Christmas hymn.  We normally sang all three verses in unison, except for that one year.  That year, we decided to each take a verse of our own.  In theory, it sounded like a fabulous idea.  In reality ... not so much.  I froze.  I was in the front of the church, robed in proper choir attire, mic in front of my face, and the words would just not come out.  Silence.  I vowed, at that moment, to never volunteer my vocal abilities (or lack thereof) for a solo again.  All that being said, thank God there are people on the planet who can sing Away In A Manger by themselves ... people like Anne Murray.  And in my book, her rendition is one of the best.

Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment