Friday, December 2, 2011

Songs of the Season: Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

It's the second day in Songs of the Season.  Yesterday we kicked it off with I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas - something lighthearted to take the edge off of the draining work week and the turkey coma that everyone is finally waking up from.  Today's song of the season is one of my all time favorites.  It's a little on the solemn side, but I love it for it's simplicity.  The melody, the words...it just flows. 

When Mr. M and I were dating, we used to talk a lot about music.  Mainly because we were in a long distance relationship, and knowing which songs each other loved, helped us feel more connected when we'd hear those melodies on the radio.  Sounds silly, I know, and I guess in a way it really is.  But it was our thing, and I always felt a little bit closer to him during those brief moments of air play that were made up of his song. 

Christmases were always a little more special.  While others were wishing for sugar plum fairies and snow-covered lawns, I was always dreaming of the day I'd be able to spend Christmas with him.  It eventually happened...about four years into our relationship, and we've had Christmas together every year since.   

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas was always my song.  It was one of those that he would hear, and his mind would go to me, and vice versa.  To this day, that song still takes me back to our dating days.  The only difference between then and now?  My Christmas wish has finally come true, and now I really can have a merry little Christmas. 

Happy Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment