Friday, December 9, 2011

Songs of The Season: I Need A Silent Night.

Being a full time working mom and wife is hard.  It's tiring, and leaves you with little time (and energy) for yourself.  My days start early and end late.  The alarm sounds at 6:04am (no, I don't know what the random :04 is about, but that's what time it goes off), and I'm lucky to be in bed before 11:00pm most nights. 

We get up, get breakfast put together, get a groggy little girl up, dressed, teeth brushed, makeup on, diapers changed, grab all of our crap, and we're out the door.  I put in my eight hours, swing by and pick G up from the nanny's house, rush home, start dinner, clean up after dinner, pack lunches, scoop litter boxes, get G bathed and in bed, and usually by about 9:00pm, I can relax for a few minutes before completely zonking out on the couch only to awake an hour or more later and realize I still have to shower.  Oy vey.  As if a regular work week isn't draining enough, when you add the holidays into the mix, it's like a double whammy. 

I've heard today's song of the season dozens of times.  I've liked it since the first time I heard it, because I can relate.  This year, I Need A Silent Night seemed to take on a different meaning.  With all the hustle and bustle of every day life, and the added impact of the Christmas season, I just need a break.  And chances are, you're probably nodding your head in agreement because you need a break too.  December tends to get shorter every year.  College football season starts, then Halloween, Thanksgiving, and before you know it's the day after Christmas and you find yourself standing in a living room full of Christmas remnants wondering where the month went.  It happens every year...but seemingly quicker and more aggressively with each Christmas that comes and goes. 

Personally, I'm trying to make this year different by focusing on what's important -- family, good health, love, and most importantly the birth of our Savior.  If my mind and heart are in the right place, I'm sure my body will follow ... and maybe then, I'll get my silent night


Happy Christmas!





No comments:

Post a Comment