Thursday, October 6, 2011

Black Eyed Peas.

One thing you'll learn, if you hang around long enough, is that I love to cook!  I also love Fall weather...and rainy weather too, but that's another entry.

Anyway, it's October, which means it's Fall, and something about this time of year makes me want to get deeply in touch with my inner Paula Dean.  Growing up in the South, I've learned two things about this time of the year:  1. If the weather drops below 65*F, you take advantage of it by breaking out your sweater collection, and 2. You cook!  And when I say cook, I mean you cook big and bad and often!  This week alone, my kitchen has been used to the max with the likes of sweet potato casserole, peanut butter cookies, spaghetti and homemade waffles just to name a few.  But one of my favorite cool weather foods is my homemade Black Eyed Pea Soup.  It's easy, it's hardy, and it warms you to the bone!  And the best part about it?  It's a crock pot recipe!  And if you aren't already aware, a crock pot is a working mom's best friend.  You'll find the recipe below.  Enjoy!

Black Eyed Pea Soup

1-lb dry black eyed peas
2 cans chicken broth
2 c water
1 package diced ham (8-12 oz)
4 stalks of celery, chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped (optional)
 Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
Garlic Powder
1 tsp Dill
1 tsp Thyme
Crushed Red Pepper (optional)

Soak peas in water over night, 6-8 hours.  Drain and rinse.  Pour peas, celery, carrots, onion and ham into crock pot.  Add water and chicken broth.  Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to your liking.  Add dill and thyme - I just sprinkle and don't measure, but it's probably about equivalent to a teaspoon of each.  If you like spicy food, add a couple shakes of red pepper flakes - it adds a nice kick.  Stir all ingredients until evenly mixed.  Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

I serve mine with cornbread...it's perfection!

Bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment