Friday, October 7, 2011

Pretty In Pink.

Cancer.  Just the word makes me cringe. 

In my almost 30 years, I've seen family, friends, co-workers, classmates, and neighbors fight this nasty beast - some fought until they could fight no more, and others live on to tell their amazing stories of triumph and courage.  I'll never forget losing a classmate to brain cancer when I was in elementary school.  Or losing our neighbor to lung cancer when I was fourteen.  He was the nicest man - a former fireman who had moved to the country to enjoy his retirement.   On my 19th birthday, I remember sitting in the doctor's office and hearing the word leukemia.  Thankfully, it wasn't leukemia, but still a numbing scare.  I also remember when my precious Aunt Dottie was diagnosed with colon cancer.  And in just a few months, the phone call that followed saying she had lost her battle.  Most recently, I remember returning to work after my daughter was born in early 2010 and learned that a coworker, not much older than me, had been diagnosed with an advanced stage of breast cancer.  I was shocked.  When I left for maternity leave, she was healthy and full of life.  I'm happy to say, that she is a fighter and a survivor.  And that brings me to the point of this entry -- October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  Last year, after learning the news of our friend, a group of coworkers and I, pulled together and participated in our local Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in our friend's honor.  She, along with her mother, sister and two little girls, was able to join us.  It was a great experience.  This year, on October 22, a hand full of the same group will once again meet up and walk in honor and in memory of our loved ones.  I can't wait.

If you haven't signed up yet, please visit the American Cancer Society website for information on walks in your area.  Grab a friend, and get walking!

Our Making Strides team from 2010.


No comments:

Post a Comment