Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Boo At the Zoo.

That time of year is upon us again - the weather has cooled, we're well into the months that end in "-ber", and there's nutritionally-challenged food all around us.  It's the season of holidays!  Our first major fall holiday is quickly approaching - Halloween.  Mwhahahahahaha!  Yeah, that was my sorry attempt at a Dracula laugh.  Fail. 

Growing up, Halloween was not a big event in our house.  Conveniently, it wasn't a big deal in my husband's childhood home either.  M is an only child, but in our home, there are three kids, and none of us ever cared much about Halloween.  Growing up in the country, neighbors were few and far between, so the idea of trick-or-treating was really foreign to us.  I think in all the years of growing up, we may have had one...no two...yes, it was two trick-or-treaters.  I think we may have gotten into the Halloween festivities at least once...not because I remember the event at all, but because there is a picture of my sister and I dressed up when I was about 4yrs old and she was probably 2.  I was Super Woman, and my sister was a clown.  If I could find those pictures, I'd post them...but you're out of luck for now.  We didn't go on our first real trick-or-treating adventure until college.  Ahh!  Fun times. 

My little pumpkin.
Last year, was our first Halloween as parents, so me and the hubs decided to do something fun for our daughter although she was only 10-months old at the time.  After researching and talking to other moms in the area, I learned that one of our local colleges does Boo At The Zoo festivities for families and kids.  So, we went.  G dressed as a little pumpkin - the cutest pumpkin ever, if I might add - and me and M were the designated candy-gatherers.  It was a good time, and one that we hope to make a tradition for years to come.  Santa Fe College has been hosting Boo At The Zoo for 17 years.  Admission is one canned food item per person, which goes toward local food banks.  It's a really great time for the family....it's safe, it's free, and it's for a good cause!  If you're in the Gainesville, FL area, and have little ones, I would definitely recommend trying it out.  I'll post their flier below, but you can also visit their website, Boo At the Zoo, for this years times, dates, and other information.  We'll be there with our little pumpkin, although she has upgraded to a zebra this year.  Look out for those pictures! 

In closing, I'll say this...although, I much prefer Fall decorations over spider webs and goblins, I'll gladly put that aside once a year for my daughter.  At only 22-months old, she still doesn't quite grasp the concept of Halloween, or trick-or-treating for that matter, but she has fun regardless.  Our Halloween will be full of fresh air, giggles, and sugar, and I wish the same for you and your family!  So, grab your candy bucket and a canned food item, and we'll see you at the zoo!

2 comments:

  1. She is the cutest pumpkin ever! I didn't know it was only a canned food donation, that is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :-) And yes, I agree...it's a fantastic "admission fee", because they give you oodles of candy!

    ReplyDelete