Monday, November 21, 2011

Day Eleven: Caring Coworkers.

My new office warming gift.
Since my college days, I've held three real jobs.  I spent the first three years of my college career working as a circulation assistant in a library.  I loved that job.  I remember when I started, minimum wage was still under the five-dollar mark.  Craziness.  Before I knew it, we got a raise to $5.25 - woohoo!  We were really stacking paper. 

My senior year of college, I was toying with the idea of pursuing my Masters degree post-graduation.  I was interested in the MAT program - Masters of Teaching in Arts.  I had spoken with the head of the Education Department on campus, and turned out he was very well-acquainted with the director of the preschool lab which, up until that point, I didn't know our campus even had.  One thing led to another, and I was offered a position in the lab teaching music to two, three and four year olds.  I was eventually promoted from music teacher to Director's Assistant.  For a little over a year, I taught.  The position ended, and I was forced to move on.

Let's fast forward to 2008.  Mr. M and I moved up to Gainesville, and I was offered a secretary position at my current place of employment.  I accepted.  Within three months, a position opened within the same office for a financial aid coordinator.  I applied.  They made an offer.  I took it.  I advised for about three years.  I worked with some really awesome people in that office.  They saw me transition from married woman to motherhood.  One of them in particular, helped me a great deal with the anxiety issues that her and I have both been plagued with.  A hand full of them cried with me when my marriage was falling apart.  And then cried tears of joy with me when M and I worked it out.  Together, we've laughed, we've cried, and we've been angry with each other.  But the good times always outweighed the bad.

My position in that office came to an end in August.  A new opportunity arose for me.  I was still in the same department, but in an entirely new office with new people and new surroundings.  It was scary.  I was leaving everyone and everything I had known for the past three years.  My first day on the job, I was greeted by a package of Black & White cookies on my keyboard.  How thoughtful!  In the area where I work, there are only about five of us, so it's small.  They have all known each other for years, so I was totally the new girl. 

"It's always broccoli just before the pie."
A couple weeks into this position, M and I found out we were pregnant.  With my first pregnancy, the day after I found out, I told a good friend of mine that I worked with at the time.  But this time, I didn't.  I was in a new environment still trying to find my comfort zone, and wasn't sure who I could or wanted to share such big news with so early in the pregnancy.  After the first doctor's appointment, I decided to tell my supervisor.  She's such a genuine person, and she promised she'd keep a secret.  The day after I told her, I started spotting.  It was a Friday.  I had called my doctor that morning, and the nurse said it was probably nothing to worry about.  It got progressively worse on Saturday, and by Sunday morning it was full-blown bleeding.  I was terrified.  After talking to the doctor on call, she said they couldn't get me in until the next morning.  I texted my supervisor to let her know what was going, and told her she could tell our other two office mates so that they would know as well.  She called me, and prayed with me over the phone.  What a blessing.  My fears were confirmed Monday morning following an ultrasound.  I had miscarried. 

After taking a couple days to recuperate, I returned to work.  I was greeted by a card that said, "It's always broccoli just before the pie".  On the inside it read, "Hope things are pie soon".  It was perfect.  Stuffed in the envelope, I also found a gift card.  Reading through the personal messages they had written, I had to fight back tears.  I was so touched that they had gone out of their way to show such kindness in a time of personal struggle. 

In the days since I first started working here, a lot of changes have happened.  From a career stand point, I've learned so much about myself and about my work - things I want, things I don't.  Emotionally, it's been trying at times - the adjustments of a new atmosphere, new personalities, and being the new girl.  And, the hardest struggle yet, has been the ultimate high of "Yes, we're pregnant!" only to experience the heartache of losing that pregnancy a few weeks later. 

When I first started here, rumor had it that this was the best department to work in - the people are genuine, they're drama free, and they honestly care about one another.  Those rumors have been confirmed.  I am blessed to work here, and blessed to have such caring coworkers.  They have helped remind me, that no matter how much broccoli you're forced to eat, you do eventually get your pie.  Thanks, guys.

My 30th Birthday cake, baked by my supervisor.  Homemade Red Velvet, yum!
 

2 comments:

  1. <3

    sniffle. This seriously had me crying! It IS so wonderful to have a family at work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! It's true though - must of us spend more waking hours with our coworkers than we do with our families. It's a blessing to have a home away from home. :-)

    ReplyDelete