Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day Ten: I Luzz You's.

G back in March.
My daughter is twenty-two months old, and she's had a case of the terrible twos since about April of this year - not a fun time in our household.  Some days are very trying.  Others are pretty good.  Some are down right miserable.  She fusses over everything, wants to be held constantly, and I almost dread car rides that last longer then ten minutes.  The terrible twos are indeed, terrible. 

With all that said, this past Monday was more trying than usual.  My husband and I had both taken the day off in order to enjoy a nice long weekend for both of our birthdays.  I was excited for three of us to get an entire weekday together, because that rarely happens.  G, on the other hand, didn't seem to care what I was hoping or planning for.  She was fussy, she didn't want to take a nap, and she had destroyed the freshly cleaned living room in about three minutes flat.  By that evening, my nerves had been worked.  I could not wait for her bedtime to roll around, so that me and M could have a couple hours of peace and quiet before we were in bed.

The time came and I said, "Baby, let's get ready for bed".

I got a blank stare. 

Take two, "C'mon honey, we gotta get our pajamas on." 

She looked at me and said "No, no, no." 

I knew trying to sweet talk her wasn't going to work - you can't reason with a toddler.  I put my parental authority into action and scooped her up in my arms.  This resulted in flailing arms and legs, and vocal rebellion.  I've learned that not giving into her tantrums are the best way to calm her.  By the time we had walked from the living room to the bedroom, she had mellowed and was giggling.  She got quiet and then looked up at me with those big brown eyes and said, "I luzz you."  This of course was her version of, "I love you".  I melted. 

All the fussing, the screaming, the arm-flailing, the kicking, the throwing herself on the floor, the whining, the crying - everything negative that the terrible twos consists of doesn't really matter in the big picture.  Yes, it's hard, and it's miserable on some days, but it's part of being a parent.  There hasn't been a temper tantrum yet that hasn't been forgiven and forgotten...no matter how upset she gets.  At the end of the day, it's the moments filled with I luzz you's that count the most.  Those are the moments I'll cherish forever.  Nothing compares to hearing those three little words from that curly haired little girl...I luzz you.

I luzz you too, baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment