Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day Four: Weekends.

I don't know a single person who doesn't merrily greet the weekend.  Personally, I've always been a fan of them, but I never really learned to appreciate them until my senior year in college.  That trend has carried on into my later years, as well. 

I majored in music, and we were always required to take a gazillion credit hours.  During my senior year, particularly my senior semester, I was taking nine classes (which added up to eighteen hours), working two jobs, preparing for my senior recital (I'm a pianist, so this required at least twelve to twenty hours of practice a week), interning, and planning a wedding.  My weeks were jam packed.  I remember days where every minute was scheduled - I'd start at 8:00a.m. and finally be home by 9:00p.m.  From class to work to my internship to the practice rooms to more class to more practicing...I barely had time to breathe let alone eat or sleep.  Man, I'm glad those days are over...but they were good days - some of the best I've ever had.  Although I was busy seven days a week, I still lived for my weekends.  A good portion of my Saturdays were usually spent sitting at a piano for hours on end, but I always made time for me, even if it was just a couple of hours.  Sometimes it was meeting up for coffee with my sister, Nutmeg...other times it was practice all day, and then date night with M.  Ahhh, dating my husband before he was my husband - those were good times.  I'm smiling at just the thought of it - I guess I'll be writing about that soon.  Back on topic...

Weekends were always different from the rest of the week no matter how busy they were.  It was a different kind of busy.  That mindset has carried over into my married life and mommyhood.  These days, Saturdays are usually full of grocery shopping, running errands that were avoided during the week, and cleaning.  Sundays are church, good food, and more often than not, finishing up any errands that weren't completed on Saturday.  Sometimes, especially during this time of year, we are visiting extended family on weekends or making plans with friends.  It's rare...like endangered species rare...that we have a weekend where nothing is going on - a weekend like this weekend.  This week, I was blessed to have Friday off.  In an effort to make Saturday and Sunday completely stay-at-home-days, I made sure all the shopping was done on Friday night.  And oh how great it felt to not have to go anywhere today...no errands to run...no groceries to buy...no tired and screaming baby in the back seat...no sitting in traffic...no nothing - just absolute hang-out-in-your-sweat-pants-with-no-makeup kinda day.  It was fantastic.  I got to spend the entire day with M and G - it was a family affair.  And the best part?  I get to do it all over again tomorrow.  I could definitely get used to this. 

God bless the man who invented weekends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment