Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day Two: Technology.

Modern day technology is amazing.  It's fascinating to think of how far we've come in just the last twenty years or so -- computers, cell phones, social networking, GPS, blogs, forums of particular interest, Skype, text messaging, iPods -- and that's just to name a few.  Each of those items plays a role in most people's daily life.  I, for one, use a computer, a cell phone, social networking, blogging, Skype, and text messaging on a daily basis.  There are also a hand full of forums that I used to visit on the regular, but that was pre-motherhood when I had occasional free time.

Cell phones and text messaging go hand in hand.  I am probably the only woman on the planet who doesn't like to talk on the phone.  I hate it - maybe even despise it.  Text messaging was created for people like me.  I have a disclaimer that I tell people when I give them my number, "I hate talking on the phone and I suck at returning phone calls, but I'm a great texter."  Nine times out of ten, the receiving person feels the same way.  Text messaging is my main line of communication with family, friends, and sometimes even co-workers.  On occasion, I'll check my phone bill to see how many texts were sent and received from my line...my record so far was close to 4,000 text messages in one billing cycle.  I think I've got a problem.

Skype is one of my favorite modern day advances.  As you may have read in Raindrops, my sister lives in Tennessee.  Earlier this year, she introduced me to the world of Skype, and it was a match made in technology Heaven.  While it's rare that we use the video chat feature - okay, I admit, we've never used it - we still chat on Skype instant messenger almost every day.  It's been a great aid in allowing us to stay in touch across state lines. 

And finally, let's talk computers.  Almost everyone has one at home, and probably one at work too.  I use a Mac at work, which I love; and at home, we have a PC laptop.  We actually just bought it - and when I say "just bought it", I'm talking we bought it last night - an early birthday gift from my husband.  This is actually my first blog composed and posted from this machine.  Computers allow me to write this blog.  Computers allow you to read this blog.  Computers give me job security.  They are responsible for my husband and I meeting.  I'm sure there are a hundred ways you and I could count as to how computers make our lives function more smoothly.  I'm not sure about you, but I can't imagine a world without them.        

Whether it keeps you employed, aids in your social life, or allows you to be in contact with family across the country, technology has become a staple in today's society.  And as cheesy as it sounds, I really am thankful for technology

No comments:

Post a Comment